As the title said, I have been playing with some bash scripting since I was kinda bored. I was thinking about a blog made by Kev, where he expressed how he moved away from Jekyll and back to WordPress. Now, I have never used WP, so I don’t really know how many advantages, besides the mentioned in his blog, it has.
But that blog helped me to see, and recognize some of problems and annoyances I have with my current workflow.
Recently, I started to use Neovim to make my blogs, like the one you are reading right now. And since I am already trying to be as minimal as possible, I decided to make a script that helped me do the following things
- Create a post file
- Name it and add its date
- Add the metadata to it
- Open it to start editing
Doing scripting stuff (Not a tutorial tbh)
So, doing a script on linux is kinda easy, because of the way UNIX like systems work, I can make use of small utilities that can do small things and wrap everything together to make new useful scripts to automate the little things. In my case, I made something like this.
#! /bin/bash echo "Type filename" read name filename=$(date +"%Y-%m-%d"-$name) touch /path/to/_posts/$filename.md printf '%b\n' "$(cat /path/to/_template.md)" >> /path/to/_posts/$filename.md alacritty -e nvim /path/to/_posts/$filename.md
A quick explanation
In this case,
echoallows me to print text, just like
printf, to keep the format of my
template.mdfile, containing the metadata of the blog, sp I only have to fill it out (I could probably automate this too, honestly).
dateto create the and format the filename of the post, as well as add the given title using
read(I cannot use spaces, but I always use dashes
touchto create the markdown file and place it in the right locations.
Finally, I open the file on Neovim in a new terminal window (my choice is alacritty).
And that was it! I actually managed to do it. I am not sure if I could make it even simpler, but I am happy with the result. I can now start my blogs in a better way than before, where I copied and pasted everything from a previous file, that I had to open and close and I also had to be type the path of the file and make it and all of the usual stuff. But hey, now it’s everything automated for me!
Also! I also made some changes to the font sizes of this blog, and other CSS things, just because I felt that everything was a little too big, and I didn’t feel like scrolling that much just to get past the title. I think I still have to tweak it a little bit, but it is a good start.
This was day 23 of #100DaystoOffload, let me know if you found this kinda useful for you too. Or if you have a better script or anything that you use to make your blog workflow better!